I am now a Preventive Controls Qualified Individual, thanks to UNPA’s PCQI training class last week.
The course was developed by the Food Safety Preventive Controls Alliance (FSPCA) and is the “standardized curriculum” recognized by the Food and Drug Administration. The class provides training in the development and application of risk-based preventive controls.
A PCQI is a professional that can manage a Food Safety Plan at a food manufacturing or packaging facility in accordance with FSMA (Food Safety Modernization Act) Preventive Controls for Human Food. The class qualified me to:
- Understand Good Manufacturing Practices (specifically 21 CFR Part 117) and Prerequisite Programs
- Conduct hazard analysis and determine preventive controls
- Develop and implement a food safety plan for their production facility
- Define process, allergen, sanitation and supply-chain preventive controls
- Implement verification, validation, recall and record keeping requirements.
Big thanks to Larisa Pavlick and Kathy Gombas for being such great instructors!